We look for them from the moment we are up. Staying away from them even for an hour sends us into a great panic. Glasses. For some of us, they are our closest companions. And to ensure that these companions serve us faithfully to give the sharpest of vision, we need to give them some tender loving care in return. So how do you care for your glasses? Here are 5 quick tips:
1. Both Hands Please: Most of us casually take off our glasses with one hand. Always take off or put on your glasses with both your hands. This will ensure that your glasses do not get bent out of shape, the screws don’t get loose and stay well fitting. Also, pushing glasses up onto your forehead can gradually distort the fitting of your spectacle frames.
2. Keep them Protected: Keep your spectacles in the protective case when they’re not on your nose. Avoid placing them directly in your purse or pocket. Keys or combs can easily scratch the surface. Don’t leave them on your car dashboard while driving. The intense heat that can occur inside a closed car on a hot sunny day can easily damage the coating or frame hardware.
3. Give your Glasses a Bath: About once a week, wash your glasses with normal tap water. You may use a very mild soap. This will help get rid of all the dust, grease, smudges, skin oils, fingerprints or make up that might have accumulated on the glasses.
4. Micro-fibre Only: Always clean your glasses using the micro-fibre cloth provided with your spectacles. The surfaces of glass lenses are often very sensitive and rough materials can scratch them easily. Scratches cause blurry vision which can get very irritating for your eyes! Tissues, papers and the edge of your shirt is a big no-no! Using your breath to fog them up may seem cool, but it doesn’t really help!
5. Face Up: Most people require to change their lenses more often because of the scratching from placing their spectacles face down. Always keep your spectacles open and stably standing or folded up and flat.
These little tips may seem like silly things, but are often the things that we are most likely to forget! A little extra care will go a long way in extending the life of your spectacles and ensuring great vision always!
The Optical Store at Advanced Eye Hospital and Institute near Vashi, offers the latest sunglasses, spectacles and contact lenses from all leading brands at affordable prices!