Select other doctors
Consultant Ocular Oncology and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery
Dr Akshay G Nair, MBBS, DNB, Fellow LVPEI is a trained Oculoplastic Surgeon specialising in treatment of the eyelid, the bony socket, the tear ducts, structures behind the eye and cancers of the eye. Dr. Akshay Nair was trained at the best eye hospitals in the country - Sankara Nethralaya Chennai and L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad. He has completed a clinical fellowship in ophthalmic plastic surgery and ocular oncology from LVPEI and additionally he underwent fellowship training through the International Council of Ophthalmology at the New York Eye & Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai, NY, USA. The conditions that Dr. Akshay Nair commonly treats included ptosis (droopy eyes), conjunctival tumours (OSSN), retinoblastoma, eyelid bags (blepharoplasty), blocked tear ducts (Nasolacrimal obstruction). The most common surgeries that Dr. Nair performs are ptosis correction, entropion surgery, ectropion surgery, dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR), blepharoplasty, Botox, enucleation and evisceration. Dr Nair has over 70 indexed peer-reviewed publications, 14 text-book chapters and 25 invited talks globally to his credit.
1. Nair AG, Mukherjee B, Mehta RA, Biswas J, Subramaniam K. Unilateral Primary Cutaneous Amyloidosis of the upper eyelid masquerading as a Chalazion. Can J Oph. In Press.
2. Nair AG, Gopinathan I. Micturation and painless lacrimation. Int J Urology. In Press.
3. Nair AG, Vittal S, Noronha VO, Gandhi RA. Cataract Surgery in Carotid-Cavernous
Fistula. Indian J Ophthalmol. In Press.
4. Nair AG, Chhablani-Patil PA, Venkatramani DV, Gandhi RA. Ocular Myasthenia Gravis.Indian J Ophthalmol. In Press.
5. Gandhi RA, Nair AG. Neuro-ophthalmology in India: Editorial. Indian J Ophthalmol. In Press.
6. Nair AG, Ambika S, Noronha VO, Gandhi RA. The diagnostic yield of neuroimaging in sixth nerve palsy - SNAPS (Sankara Nethralaya Abducens Palsy Study): Report 1. Indian J Ophthalmol. In Press.
7. Nair AG, Pathak RS, Iyer VR, Gandhi RA. Optic Nerve Glioma - An Update. Int.
Ophthalmol. 2014 Apr 16. [Epub ahead of print].
8. Naik MN, Batra J, Nair AG, Ali MJ, Kaliki S, Mishra DK. Foam Sclerotherapy in Periocular Dermoid Cysts. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;30(3):267-70.
9. Mulay K, Nair AG, Honavar SG. Occult Oncocytoma of the lacrimal sac. Saudi J
Ophthal. 2014 Jan;28(1):76-8.
10. Nair AG, Kaliki S, Ali MJ, Naik MN, Vemuganti GK. Intraocular malignant melanoma of the choroid presenting as orbital cellulitis. Int Ophthalmol. 2013 Aug 6. [Epub ahead of print].
11. Kaustubh M, Nair AG, Aggarwal E, White VA, Honavar SG. Orbital signet-ring cell
lymphoma of diffuse, large, B-cell type. Can J Ophthalmol. 2013 Dec;48(6):e156-8.
12. Jaichandran VV, Nair AG, Pratheeba Devi N, Gandhi RA. Brainstem anesthesia presenting as contralateral third nerve palsy following peribulbar anesthesia for cataract surgery. Acta Anaesthesiologica Taiwanica. 2013 Sep;51(3):135-6.
13. Meenakshi S, Thirumalai SM, Nair AG. Unilateral myelinated nerve fibers associated with ipsilateral myopia and amblyopia in a 13 year old. J Paed Ophthalmol Strab. 2012 Nov 1;49(6):384.
14. Mukherjee B, Nair AG. Principles and practice of external digital photography in
ophthalmology. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2012 Mar-Apr;60(2):119-25.
15. Nair AG, Biswas J, Bhende MP. A case of bilateral Chikungunya neuroretinitis. J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect. 2012 Mar;2(1):39-40.
16. Nair AG, Nair AG, Biswas J, George RJ, Gandhi RA. Aripiprazole induced transient
myopia: A case report and review of literature. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2012 Mar;31(1):74-6.
17. Nair AG. Marmor MF. A Resident’s Lament. Surv Ophthalmol. 2011 Sep- Oct;56(5):472.
18. Nair AG, Bassi SR, Noronha VO, Suresh Bapu K, M Krishnaprasad. What comes down must go up. Chiamal Prolapse: A Field Report. Neuro- Ophthalmology. Aug 2011; 35(4):214-218.
19. Al-Arfaj K, Jain V, Hantera M, El-Deeb MW, Al-Rushod A, Nair AG, Pineda R.
Phototherapeutic Keratectomy Outcomes in Superficial Corneal Opacities. Ophthalmology and Eye Diseases. 2011 Mar 16;3:1-6.
20. Gandhi RA, Nair AG. Role of imaging in the management of neuro-ophthalmic disorders. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011 Mar-Apr;59(2):111-6.
21. Shome D, Nair AG, Kapoor R, Jain V. Botulinum toxin A: is it really that fragile a molecule? Dermatol Surg. 2010 Dec;36 Suppl 4:2106-10.
22. Jain V, Mhatre K, Nair AG, Shome D, Natarajan S. Aspergillus keratitis in vernal shield ulcer- a case report and review. Int Ophthalmol. 2010 Dec;30(6):641-4.
23. Nair AG, Fudnawala V, Arjundas D, Noronha VO, Malathi J, Therese L, Gandhi RA.
Isolated Unilateral Infiltrative Cryptococcal Optic Neuropathy in an Immunocompetent
individual. Neuro-Ophthalmology Aug 2010; 34(4):314-318.
24. Jain V, Nair AG, Jain-Mhatre K, Shome D. Pellucid marginal corneal disease in a case of atopic keratoconjunctivitis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2010 Jun;18(3):187- 9.
b. Non Peer-reviewed:
1. Biswas J, Nair AG. Uveitis – Diagnostic Problems. APOS News & Views, Issue 5, 2011: 8-11.
2. Biswas J, Nair AG. Therapeutic Challenges. APOS News & Views, Issue 5, 2011: 12-14.
3. Nair AG. Gandhi RA. Steroids in Non-arteritic Ischaemic Optic Neuropathy. Journal of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association. Vol 49, Issue 1. Mar 2011; 36-39
4. Nair AG. Book Review: Uveitis: Text and Imaging, Gupta et al. Journal of Tamil Nadu
Ophthalmic Association. Vol 48, Issue 4. Dec 2010; 127.
5. Nair AG. Book Review: Neuro-Ophthalmology: Diagnosis and Management, Liu et al.
Journal of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association. Vol 49, Issue 1. Mar 2011; ___117.
6. Nair AG, Gandhi RA. Major Review: Traumatic Optic Neuropathy. Kerala ___Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol. XXII, No.3, Sept. 2010. 240-242.
7. Nair AG. Perspective: Ophthalmic Viscosurgical Devices. Insight : Scientific Journal of Medical & Vision Research Foundations 2010; XXVIII: 27–30.
8. Nair AG. Total Parenteral Nutrition, Journal of ACPM Research Society, Vol. 2, March 2007, 99-109.
Chapters in books:
1. Nair AG, Gandhi RA. Tumours of the Optic Nerve. In Editors: Khurana AK, Gandhi RA, Khurana AK, Venkatramani DV, Khurana B. Modern Systems of Ophthalmology: Neuro- Ophthalmology. CBS Publishing, 2014, New Delhi, 2014. ISBN 978-81-2392-446-5.
2. Nair AG, Gandhi RA. Ocular Myasthenia Gravis. In Editors: Khurana AK, Gandhi RA,
Khurana AK, Venkatramani DV, Khurana B. Modern Systems of Ophthalmology: Neuro-
Ophthalmology. CBS Publishing, 2014, New Delhi, 2014. ISBN 978-81-2392-446-5.
3. Nair AG, Gandhi RA. Traumatic Optic Neuropathy. In Editors Chaudhari Z, Vanathi M, Postgraduate Ophthalmology, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 2011, New Delhi, 2011: 1666-1670. ISBN 978-93-5025-270-3.
4. Nair AG, Gandhi RA. Ocular Myasthenia Gravis In Editors Chaudhari Z, Vanathi M,
Postgraduate Ophthalmology, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 2011, New Delhi, 2011: 1510-21. ISBN 978-93-5025-270-3.
5. Goel S, Burkat C, Nair AG. Evaluation and advances in Ptosis Surgery. In Editors Nema HV, Nema N, Recent Advances in Ophthalmology 10. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, New Delhi, 2010: 295-331. ISBN 928-93-5025-263-5.
1. All India Ophthalmological Society (AIOS), since 2010
2. Oculoplastic Association of India (OPAI), since 2013
3. American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), since 2014
Referee / Reviewer:
1. Cutaneous and Ocular Toxicology, Informa Healthcare
2. International Ophthalmology, Springer Publications
3. Oman Journal of Ophthalmology, Wolters Kluwer Health - Medknow Publications
4. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics – Mary Ann Liebert Publishers
5. Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology – Elsevier
6. International Journal of Ophthalmology
7. International Journal of Urology
Honours / Awards / Grants:
1. ‘Best Poster Award’ for the poster titled ‘Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma- Clinical Profile, Management and Outcomes of 147 Patients‘ at the Annual Meet of American
Academy of Ophthalmology, New Orleans, USA; November 2013.
2. ‘Best paper award’: S D Athawale Award presented to the best paper read in the
neuro-ophthalmology session at the 69th Conference of the All India
Ophthalmic Society, Ahmedabad, February 2011.
3. ‘Best Outgoing Resident’ (2009-2012): Sankara Nethralaya,___ A Unit of Medical
Research Foundation, Chennai; August 2013
4. Best Resident in Neuro- Ophthalmology: Dr. S Kanthimathynathan Endowment
Gold Medal, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, October 2011
5. ‘Young Researcher Award – Travel Grant’: In recognition of the presentation of
the dissertation ‘The Utility of QuantiFERON TB Gold in diagnosis of suspected Tubercular Uveitis ‘, by the All India Ophthalmological Society; February 2013.
6. Korean Ophthalmological Society (KOS) Travel Grant: A grant set up by the
KOS and awarded to 40 overseas ophthalmologists participating at the 27th Asia Pacific
Academy of Ophthalmology Congress, Busan, South Korea; April 2012.
7. 1st Place: Eye-Q: All India Open Quiz Competition, organized by Wolters Kluwer Health, Chennai, August 2010.
8. 2nd Place: Dr V G Appukutty Memorial Quiz at 1st Conference of the Ophthalmic Forum of the Indian Society of Anaesthesia, Chennai, September 2011.
Observer, Aditya Jyot Eye Hospital, Mumbai
Resident, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai
Fellow, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
• Medical school:
MBBS: Maharashtra University of Health Sciences in 2007
DNB: National Board of Examinations, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai in 2009 - 2012
• Super Specialization:
Fellowship in Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Ocular Oncology and Oculo-Facial Aesthetics: L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India in 2012-14